Altering imported modules

Tro troworld at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 18:09:31 EST 2008

On Sunday 02 March 2008, Paul McGuire wrote:
> On Mar 2, 3:48 pm, Tro <trowo... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sunday 02 March 2008, Terry Reedy wrote:
> > > "Tro" <trowo... at gmail.com> wrote in message
> > >news:200803011856.27611.troworld at gmail.com...

> > > asyncore

> > > as

> > > module

> > > If your module is also 'asyncore' and comes earlier in the search path,
> > > I would expect the import to get yours.
> >
> > It's not. It has a package prefix like my.package.asyncore. I think I can
> > either move my version of asyncore up a couple of levels or add the
> > my.package directory to sys.path.
> >
> > My version of asyncore imports several functions from the built-in
> > asyncore. Now that my version of it is imported as asyncore, how would it
> > import the built-in version from python2.5/site-packages?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Tro
> >

> What happens if you do "import my.package.asyncore as asyncore"?
>
> If that doesn't work (trying the simplest hack first), I know that
> there are various hooks in the import mechanism that should help.

In the classes that use my version of asyncore currently, that is how I do it.
I import my version as "import my.package.asyncore as asyncore". In my
asyncore module I do "import asyncore", because I override a few functions
from the asyncore module included with python. However, if I were to
add "my.package" to sys.path, then I wouldn't be able to "import asyncore"
from my own asyncore module. I'd have to do some trickery with sys.path to
take the "my.package" component out, import standard asyncore, readd
the "my.package" component, so that other modules can "import asyncore" and
get my version.

Is there a way to import the standard python asyncore module in this scenario?

Thanks,
Tro