Python and Flaming Thunder

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Fri May 23 04:35:28 EDT 2008

Brian Quinlan <brian at sweetapp.com> wrote:

> Dave Parker wrote:
>>> Or just:
>>>
>>> If command is "quit" ...
>>
>> Hmmm.  In Flaming Thunder, I'm using "is" (and "is an", "is a", etc)
>> for assigning and checking types.  For example, to read data from a
>> file and check for errors:
>>
>>      Read data from "input.txt".
>>      If data is an error then go to ...
>
> Hey Dave,
>
> Does this mean that Flaming Thunder requires explicit checking rather
> than offering exceptions?

It looks that way but he doesn't seem to have got as far as documenting
errors: the documentation gives several examples of that form and says that
'error' is a reserved word but says nothing about how you create an error
of if you can distinguish one error from another:

I'm guessing you can't as FT doesn't appear to have any concept of
attributes on objects (or even any concept of objects): so far as I can see
the only types are integers, rationals, intervals and strings (and real
numbers if you pay real money for them).

Maybe I'm missing something though, because I don't see how you can do
anything useful with out at least some sort of arrays (unless you are
supposed to store numbers in long strings).