Python and Flaming Thunder

J. Clifford Dyer jcd at sdf.lonestar.org
Wed May 14 06:53:02 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 10:33 -0700, Dave Parker wrote:
> > You sound like a commercial.
>
> Get Flaming Thunder for only $19.95!  It slices, it dices!
>
> > And while programs and libraries written in assembly may be twice as fast
> > as programs and libraries written in C, ...
>
> It's a myth that they're only twice as fast.  An experienced assembly
> language programmer can usually get out at least a factor of 5 by
> using tricks such as cache-coherence, carry flag tricks, stack
> manipulations, etc.
>
> > ... they're real hell to maintain.
>
> That's also a myth.  For example, if C is easy to maintain, why is
> Flaming Thunder the only single-asset 8-by-8 shotgun cross compiler in
> the world?  There should be lots of single-asset 8-by-8 shotgun cross
> compilers written in C, if C is easier to maintain.

Not only is it the world's only "single-asset 8-by-8 shotgun cross
compiler," but according to google, it's also the world's only "shotgun
cross compiler" period.  But I guess if you make up your own terminology
you're bound to be unique.  :)  Do you mind if I ask: what exactly is a
single-asset 8x8 shotgun cross compiler, and what makes that of any
value to me?

Cheers,
Cliff