how to get information of a running prog in python

Dan Upton upton at virginia.edu
Mon May 12 22:36:53 EDT 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 10:19 PM, Jimmy <mcknight0219 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, i know it may be a little non-python thing, however, I can think
>  of no place better to post this question :)
>
>  can anyone tell me, in python, how to obtain some information of a
>  running program?
>  paticularly, if i am playing some music in audacious or other media
>  player, how can i get the the name and some other info of current
>  playing song? It seems that audicious doesn't output on run-time
>  --

In most cases, you'll probably need some sort of API, either in the
program itself or through some sort of plugin, that lets external
programs query it.  For instance, there are some plugins to WinAmp
that allow external programs (like Last.FM or Mog-O-Matic) to see what
track is currently playing.  You may also be able to do something like
get the window title (again, WinAmp's title bar usually includes the
artist and title) and parse it out.  I don't really know that there's
anything specific to Python for accessing these though, and it may
vary depending on media player.

Just my two cents...

-dan