Best way to store config or preferences in a multi-platform way

python at bdurham.com python at bdurham.com
Fri May 2 09:17:18 EDT 2008

Lance,

> I am still undecided if the ability for the user to edit the file independently of the program is a good or bad thing.

I prefer user viewable plain (non-XML) text files because:

- easy to make a change in case of emergency
- easy to visually review and search
- easy to version control, diff, and optionally spellcheck
- easy to translate
- easy to generate programmatically
- less opportunity for corruption
- best compression

IMO, the 3 biggest advantages are:
- easy to make field changes in case of emergency
- diff
- less opportunity for corruption

Interesting thread. I'm looking forward to hearing what others say on
this topic.

Regards,
Malcolm