Code correctness, and testing strategies

Casey McGinty casey.mcginty at gmail.com
Sat May 24 17:40:17 EDT 2008

> Seriously, 10 hours of testing for code developed in 10 hours? What
> > kind of environment do you write code for? This may be practical for
> > large companies with hordes of full-time testing & QA staff, but not
> > for small companies with just a handful of developers (and where you
> > need to borrow somone from their regular job to do non-developer
> > testing).
>
> I've done plenty of projects using conventional methods in small companies.
> If anything test time equal to development time is a vast underestimate.
>
> Frederick Brooks general rule in Mythical Man Month is a project should
estiamte1/6 coding and1/2 test time. In other words, 1 hour of coding time
should have 3 hours of testing time.

*"In examining conventionally scheduled projects, I have found that few
allowed one-half of the projected schedule for testing, but that most did
indeed spend half of the actual schedule for that purpose. Many of these
were on schedule until and except in system testing." -MMM
*