Python 2.5 and sqlite

Thorsten Kampe thorsten at thorstenkampe.de
Thu Nov 13 04:04:39 EST 2008

*  (Wed, 12 Nov 2008 17:52:55 -0500)
> Quoting Thorsten Kampe <thorsten at thorstenkampe.de>:
> > *  (Tue, 11 Nov 2008 17:58:15 -0500)
> > It checks whether it can find the SQLite header files. So the SQLite
> > source (or the binary) is only needed for compiling Python. If you
> > build SQLite support as a shared library, you need the libsqlite
> > package (not the SQLite binary itself) at runtime. If you build it
> > static, you don't need SQLite at all at runtime. See Martin's answer
> > in the same thread.
>
> Anyway.. I think you just want to argue endlessly with silly
> statements.. you're being too pedantic..

If you think making a distinction between the SQLite package and the
libsqlite package is pedantic - I don't have a problem with that. Fact
is that none of the packages are required for using sqlite3 with Python
- they are only required when you want to compile Python yourself or
when Python uses the shared library.

And even if you want to compile Python yourself, SQLite doesn't have to
be _installed_. You simply can dump the files wherever you like and
point Python to it. This is often necessary on a machine where you
cannot install anything to the default locations because you don't have
admin rights.

Thorsten