3.0rc3: 'os.extsep' gone ... ?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Nov 24 17:15:44 CET 2008

Christian Heimes wrote:
> bMotu wrote:
>> IDLE 2.6
>> '.'
>> running XP this result is fine ... !
>>
>> IDLE 3.0rc3
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "<pyshell#1>", line 1, in <module>
>>     os.extsep
>> AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'extsep'
>>
>> why is this attribute gone in 3.0rc3 ?
>>
>> where is this documented ?
>
> It's now os.path.extsep.

In 3.0, os.curdir, os.pardir, os.sep, os.altsep, os.pathsep, os.defpath,
and os.devnull are also in os.path. (Hurray for set intersection.)
os.extset was in os.path and is documented to still be so, but was
removed.  os.linesep, inconsistently, never was in os.path.  I think
either all or none should be duplicated.

The doc for os.path begins "This module implements some useful functions
on pathnames".  The duplication of the sysinfo constants is not
mentioned!  So if they are only in one place, it should be os, not
os.path.

The name 'stat' is in both, but is bound to different objects (built-in
function versus module).

Terry Jan Reedy