Programming exercises/challenges

Jeremiah Dodds jeremiah.dodds at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 01:49:12 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 7:39 PM, <btkuhn at email.unc.edu> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm learning Python by teaching myself, and after going through several
> tutorials I feel like I've learned the basics. Since I'm not taking a class
> or anything, I've been doing challenges/programs to reinforce the material
> and improve my skills. I started out with stuff like "Guess my number"
> games, hangman, etc. and moved on to making poker and card games to work
> with classes. For GUIs I created games like minesweeper, and a GUI stock
> portfolio tracker. I am out of ideas and am looking for programming
> projects, challenges, or programs that have helped you'll learn. I'm working
> on the project Euler problems, but I find that they don't really help my
> programming skills; they are more math focused. Suggestions? What has been
> useful or interesting to you? I'd also welcome sources of textbook type
> problems, because the ones provided in tutorials tend to be repetitive.
>
> Thanks,
> Ben
> --

Try implementing a tetris clone. I find it to be a good exercise while
learning a new language. Also, the "Programming python" book has a text
editor example in it that is fun to extend / modify. Project Euler is good
to go through, and will improve your programming skills, but in a different
direction than other programming exercises can.