Django or TurboGears or Pylons? for python web framework.

Aspersieman aspersieman at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 05:53:43 EST 2008

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 08:35:23 +0200, 3000 billg <billg3000 at hos.twgg.org>
wrote:

> Hi Senior,

Hi

> There was a case for web site that will be public to Internet for me. I
> like
> python so I do not consider the use of Ruby on Rails.

Excellent choice :)

> I searched more web framework of python from Google. The good solution
> just
> only there are Django, TurboGears and Pylons.

I would recommend web2py [1].

> Just from my preferences, I want to use Django but the AJAX support will
> be
> a problem. Also I need to select a JavaScript framework and lean it,
> maybe
> JQuery, mootools or other. And I can not write python as it is written in
> general javascript. I need to learn a different syntax.

It supports (and comes with) jquery, has awesome ajax integration.

> TurboGears or Pylons, I am worried that the issue of performance because
> CherryPy.

I have read (somewhere - I can't find the link now, you can probably
google it) that it runs as fast or faster than django (and some other
frameworks).

> Could everybody give me a hand for your select? Django or Turbegears or
> Pylons? and Why?

For Django VS web2py see [2]
For Turbogears VS web2py see [3]

> If Django, how to do Ajax support for you? and why?

For info on web2py and ajax see [4].

Also web2py supports SQLite, MySQL, PostgreSQL, MSSQL, FireBird and Oracle
databases - which is very cool for me as I often need to work on different
RDBMS's. Internationalisation is also a cinch. Plus - you can run the
whole framework from a USB drive and it includes a administrative
interface with a text editor so you can code your project *entirely* in a
web browser. It also runs on almost anything that supports python :
windows, unix/linux, OS X etc. I also has a very active and helpful
mailing list

I have tried a couple of other frameworks but only web2py gave me that
'just right' feel. Don't, however take only my word for it - and try other
frameworks to find the one that works for you. One is, fortunately, spoilt
for choice with all the cool python frameworks these days. :)

> thanks eveybody first.

HTH

Nicol

[1] http://www.web2py.com/
[2] http://mdp.cti.depaul.edu/AlterEgo/default/show/101
[3] http://mdp.cti.depaul.edu/AlterEgo/default/show/102
[4] http://mdp.cti.depaul.edu/AlterEgo/default/show/80

--
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo