Where to locate existing standard encodings in python

News123 news123 at free.fr
Tue Nov 11 13:08:04 EST 2008

Hi Philip,

Thanks for your answer:
The fact, that a module 'encodings' exists was new to me.

encodings.aliases.aliases has however one problem.
It helps to locate all encoding aliases, but it won't find entries for
which no aliases exist:

So I can find koi8_r and its aliases

[ [k,v] for k,v in encodings.aliases.aliases.iteritems() \
if v.find('koi')> -1 ]
> [['cskoi8r', 'koi8_r']]
However I wouuldn't find the greek code page 'cp737' as it exists
without an alias

[ [k,v] for k,v in encodings.aliases.aliases.iteritems() \
if v.find('737')> -1 ]
> []

What gives me a list of quite some encodings on my host is the shell command
ls /usr/lib/python2.5/encodings  | sed -n 's/\.py$//p' | sort
(soma false hits, bit this is fine for me purposes)

I don't know if really all encodings are represented with a .py file and
if all encodigns have to be in this directory, but it's a start.

Using shell commands is not that pythonic:

I could try to rewrite this in python by
1.) determine from which directory encodings was imported and
then using the glob module to list all .py files located there.

thanks again and bye