Official definition of call-by-value (Re: Finding the instance reference...)

Derek Martin code at pizzashack.org
Sun Nov 23 10:24:05 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 09:23:30AM +0000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> > How I can answer the question, "are the objects a and b the same or
> > different"? I can look at every aspect of each object, looking for
> > something that is different.
>
> Well, sure, if you care *that much* about potentially trivial aspects. I
> have a ten dollar note with a spec of dirt on one corner, and a ten
> dollar note with a slightly larger spec of dirt on a different corner.
> I'd agree with you that they are not "the same" in every aspect, but
> they're the same in every way I care about.

It's trivial to show that this is not necessarily the case -- you just
haven't thought of all the ways in which a difference might matter to
you..

Suppose that one of the 10-dollar bills had a serial number which was
never printed by the government (i.e. it is counterfiet).  Are they
still the same in every way that you care about?

What is the value of these two objects?  Is it the same?

The answer, in both cases, is, "it depends."  The value of both is
context-specific, just as I argue is the value of a python object.
First let's briefly examine the value of the counterfiet:

The "intrinsic" value (or rather, the value generally accepted by the
authorities) of the counterfeit is zero.  However, if you have one in
your hand, and you pass it to a merchant who is not able to detect
that it is a counterfeit, then, isn't its value $10 in that context?
If you walk away from the merchant with $10 worth of goods (and/or
change in non-counterfeit currency), then I would say it would have to
be, *in that context*.

Now suppose that the merchant is actually a U.S. Secret Service agent
investigating counterfeit money.  He notices the bill and arrests you.
What is the value of the bill now?  I doubt you could really measure
it, except perhaps in terms of the amount of money it would cost you
to defend yourself in court (if your case went to court), the amount
of hastle to deal with the authorities, etc.  Suffice it to say that
the value is rather negative, possibly with a very high magnitude,
depending on what happens next.

What about the genuine $10 bill?

If you take it to your local mall, or your local gas station, or your
corner grocer, it's clearly worth $10... or is it?  Prices of gasoline
vary from station to station, city to city, state to state, even if
the gas is sold by the same company.  A can of peas might be $0.89 at
a market in New Hampshire, or the same can of peas might be $1.59 at a
market in down town Manhattan.  And if you take your $10 bill to pay
for your favorite cup of coffee at Starbucks in your city, it might
cost you $4 with change back of $6...  But if you bring that same $10
bill to a Starbucks in a small city in Germany, good luck getting any
coffee...

Just as in the real world, the value of a Python object depends on the
context in which it is evaluated.