Building Python 2.5.2 for Itanium

Christopher nadiasvertex at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 14:13:35 EST 2008

On Nov 21, 3:50 pm, "Martin v. Löwis" <mar... at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> >   I need to compile that module for that release and platform, but I
> > have been unable to discover which MS compiler version and runtime was
> > used to generate the binaries.  My understanding is that Python 2.5.2
> > in general uses Visual Studio 2003, but MS does not appear to have
> > shipped anItaniumcompiler with that version of VS.
>
> That's correct. See PCbuild/readme.txt for (somewhat) detailed
> instructions; in essence, you need to use vsextcomp, if you want to
> use the official build process.

I am trying to follow the official build process.  I installed
vsextcomp, and it appears to work fine.  However, I have a number of
resource errors when I try to build pythoncore.

My first error was:

Compiling resources...
\Python-2.5.2\Pc\python_nt.rc(35) : error RC2104 : undefined keyword
or key name: MS_DLL_ID

So I remarked out the String table section:

STRINGTABLE DISCARDABLE
BEGIN
    1000,   MS_DLL_ID
END

then I got:

Compiling resources...
\Python-2.5.2\Pc\python_nt.rc(44) : error RC2104 : undefined keyword
or key name: FIELD3

So I removed FIELD3 from:

#define PYVERSION64 PY_MAJOR_VERSION, PY_MINOR_VERSION, FIELD3,
PYTHON_API_VERSION

Finally, I received:

Compiling resources...
\Python-2.5.2\Pc\python_nt.rc(65) : error RC2104 : undefined keyword
or key name: PYTHON_DLL_NAME

----

Having so many errors I began to suspect something else had failed.

Lo and behold! --

Performing Custom Build Step
'.\make_versioninfo.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external
command,
operable program or batch file.
Project : error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from
"Performing Custom Build Step"

---

I had to manually build make_version.exe, which seems to have
generated those fields.  I'm not sure what the problem was with the
build of make_version.  The only error I could find was "unable to
create response file."

I experienced the same problem with make_buildinfo.  After manually
building it, I was able to build pythoncore.

I am now looking into getting ctypes to build correctly.  My
investigations show that ctypes supports ia64, so I may be able to
make some progress on this front.

-={C}=-