Two-dimensional array tutorial?

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Wed Oct 22 10:05:07 EDT 2008

Martin Schneider wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'd like to handle two-dimensional arrays. My first choice, the numpy
> library, doesn't seem to be an option due to compatibility issues (see
> my other thread about python22.dll).
>
> Is there a tutorial somewhere how to handle 2d-arrays with vanilla Python?

there isn't much to them, simply create an use:

foo = [[0 for _ in xrange(height)] for _ in xrange(width)]

or something similar. Then you just use

foo[x][y]

to access individual elements.

Alternatively, you can use the module "array" for the inner list to be more
memory-efficient.

Obviously you don't get any further operations on arrays such as
transposition, multiplication and the like.

Can't you just get Numpy (or it's predecessors, Numeric) compiled against
ptyhon2.2?

Diez