Is PyFIT dead and abandoned?

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Mon Oct 6 20:34:53 EDT 2008

"James Mills" <prologic at shortcircuit.net.au> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 5:18 AM,  <oakley at bardo.clearlight.com> wrote:
> > Has PyFIT been completely abandoned? Is there a better alternative or
> > other resources to help me integrate fitnesse and python?
>
> I for one am not interested in this kind of framework for testing -
> and yet I come from a strict Software Engineering background where
> this kind of User Acceptance and Requirements-based testing is
> taught.

How, then, do you automate functional testing of the full system?

> I think you'll find most developers prefer to use unit test
> frameworks and python has a great one built-in to the standard
> library. In 99.9% of use cases, writing unit tests and well
> documented and well designed, re-usable units of code is far better
> than what any Requirements and Interactive testing framework could
> ever offer.

I completely disagree. Unit tests are essential for testing code
*units*; e.g. functions and classes and attributes (oh my).They're a
poor fit for testing the behaviour of the overall system: for that, a
functional test suite is needed, and PyFIT seems to be a good .

Automated unit tests and automated functional tests are complementary,
and do not replace one another. Both are needed to have confidence in
the code.

--
 \     “Injustice is relatively easy to bear; what stings is justice.” |
  `\                                                 —Henry L. Mencken |