What's the perfect (OS independent) way of storing filepaths ?

Mon Oct 20 21:07:29 EDT 2008

In message <010c838b$0$20670$c3e8da3 at news.astraweb.com>, Steven D'Aprano
wrote:

> And 75% [1] of average Windows users will either delete the file, move it
> to a more convenient[2] location, or edit the file name to remove the dot.

Doesn't seem very likely to me. Experienced Dimdows users would well know
that stuffing around with files they don't understand is liable to break
some application or another, so they shouldn't do it.

> [2] And they are right to do so. Programs that dump config files and
> directories, hidden or not, in the top level of the user's home directory
> are incredibly rude. It may have been a Unix standard for as long as
> there has been a Unix, but it's still the programming equivalent of
> coming into somebody's house and throwing your tools all over their
> living room floor.

Hmm, actually you have a point there. There's also the security issue, in
that other users can tell what apps you've been using based on the dotfiles
present in your home directory.