What's the perfect (OS independent) way of storing filepaths ?

Joe Strout joe at strout.net
Thu Oct 23 00:28:32 EDT 2008

On Oct 22, 2008, at 10:00 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> It would have been easy to avoid this: just copy the relevant bits of
> the / directory hierarchy in the user's home directory. Global
> settings
> go in /etc and per user settings go in ~/etc. Global temp files go
> into /
> tmp and per user temp files go into ~/tmp. And so forth. Nice, neat
> and
> perfectly easy to implement and easy to deal with.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on this one.

FYI, I think what you're looking for is a Mac.  It's a Unix system,
and has /etc, but that's pretty much only there for compatibility with
other Unices -- well-behaved Mac apps put global settings (and so on)
in the appropriate subfolder under /Library, with per user data in the
appropriate subfolder under ~/Library.

Cheers,
- Joe