Problem while reading an outlook in box using python.

Tim Golden mail at
Wed Oct 8 09:34:45 CEST 2008

venutaurus539 at wrote:
> Hello,
>            I was getting an error in Cocreate instance while trying to
> access "Outlook" using python script. The python script looks like:
> from win32com.client import Dispatch
> session = Dispatch("MAPI.session")
> session.Logon('OUTLOOK')  # MAPI profile name
> inbox = session.Inbox
>           When I tried to execute the script I got the error:
> IDispatch = pythoncom.CoCreateInstance(IDispatch, None, clsctx,
> pythoncom.IID_IDispatch)
> com_error: (-2147221005, 'Invalid class string', None, None)
>                       Can any one guide me in obtaining a solution
> for  this.

Do you have Outlook installed with the CDO components?
(I think it became an option unchecked by default
at some point).

If not, then you won't have the MAPI.Session class

As a double-check, look in the registry for: