2.6, 3.0, and truly independent intepreters

Patrick Stinson patrickstinson.lists at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 12:01:33 EDT 2008

We are in the same position as Andy here.

I think that something that would help people like us produce
something in code form is a collection of information outlining the
problem and suggested solutions, appropriate parts of the CPython's
solutions to the different levels of the problem. The most valuable
information I've found is contained in the many (lengthy!) discussions
like this one, a few related PEP's, and the CPython docs, but has
anyone condensed the state of the problem into a wiki or something
similar? Maybe we should start one?

For example, Guido's post here
http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=214235describes some
possible solutions to the problem, like interpreter-specific locks, or
fine-grained object locks, and he also mentions the primary
requirement of not harming from the performance of single-threaded
apps. As I understand it, that requirement does not rule out new build
configurations that provide some level of concurrency, as long as you
can still compile python so as to perform as well on single-threaded
apps.

To add to the heap of use cases, the most important thing to us is to
simple have the python language and the sip/PyQt modules available to
us. All we wanted to do was embed the interpreter and language core as
a local scripting engine, so had we patched python to provide
concurrent execution, we wouldn't have cared about all of the other
unsuppported extension modules since our scripts are quite
application-specific.

It seems to me that the very simplest move would be to remove global
static data so the app could provide all thread-related data, which
Andy suggests through references to the QuickTime API. This would
suggest compiling python without thread support so as to leave it up
to the application.

Anyway, I'm having fun reading all of these papers and news postings,
but it's true that code talks, and it could be a little easier if the
state of the problems was condensed. This could be an intense and fun
project, but frankly it's a little tough to keep it all in my head. Is
there a wiki or something out there or should we start one, or do I
just need to read more code?