[2.5.1] Converting string to int?

Gilles Ganault nospam at nospam.com
Thu Oct 23 03:19:07 EDT 2008

Hello

I'm using the APSW wrapper to SQLite, and I'm stuck at how to pass
data from a dictionary to the database which expects an integer:

#array filled by reading a two-column text file as input
for (isbn,carton) in data.items():
	#TypeError: int argument required
	sql = "INSERT INTO books (isbn,carton) VALUES ('%s',%u)" %
(isbn,carton)

	#Incorrect number of bindings supplied.  The current statement uses
0 and there are 2 supplied.  Current offset is 0
	sql = "INSERT INTO books (isbn,carton) VALUES ('%s',%u)" %
(isbn,int(carton))

	cursor.execute(sql,(isbn,carton))

What is the right way to turn items from a dictionary into an integer
so as to match the column definition in the database?

Thank you.