regular expression question (re module)

Pat Pat at junk.net
Fri Oct 17 09:58:14 EDT 2008

Faheem Mitha wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to match a string of the form
>
> capital_letter underscore capital_letter number
>
> against a string of the form
>
> anything capital_letter underscore capital_letter number
> some_stuff_not_starting with a number

<snip>
> DUKE00001_plateD_A12.CEL.
>
> Thanks in advance. Please cc me with any reply.
>                                                                 Faheem.

While I can't provide you with an answer, I can say that I've been using
RegExBuddy (for Windows, about $40, 90 day money back guarantee,
http://www.regexbuddy.com/) for quite a few months now and it's greatly
helped me with creating/learning/debugging regexps.  You put in your
regexp in the top field and all the possibilities in the bottom field.
  Whatever matches is instantly highlighted.  You keep modifying your RE
until only the correct matches are highlighted. Talk about instant
gratification!  No, I'm in no way affiliated with this company.

There's also a free *IX version that's quite similar to RegExBuddy but I
don't have the name since I'm writing this while on a Windows platform.