HARD REAL TIME PYTHON

Kurt Mueller mu at problemlos.ch
Tue Oct 7 05:27:21 EDT 2008

David,

Am 07.10.2008 um 01:25 schrieb Blubaugh, David A.:
> I have done some additional research into the possibility of utilizing
> Python for hard real time development.  I have seen on various
> websites
> where this has been discussed before on the internet.  However, I was
> wondering as to how successful anyone has truly been in developing a
> program project either in windows or in Linux that was or extremely
> close to real time constraints? For example is it possible to
> develop a
> python program that can address an interrupt or execute an operation
> within 70 Hz or less?? Are there any additional considerations that I
> should investigate first regarding this matter??

As others mentioned before, python is not the right tool for "HARD
REAL TIME".

But: Maybe you can isolate the part of your application that needs
"HARD REAL TIME".
   Then implement this part in an approriate Environment (Language,
OS, HW).
   Then implement the rest of your application which is not "HARD
REAL TIME"
   in python.

To be more helpful, we should know what you mean by "HARD REAL TIME".
   Do you mean:
   - Handle at least 70 interrupt per second                ("SPEED")
   - If one fails, this is catastrophic for the application ("HARD")
   - Deliver an response to an interrupt within 5-10[ms]    ("REAL
TIME")

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-time

Grüessli
Kurt Müller, mu at problemlos.ch