OS 10.5 build 64 bits

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Thu Oct 23 11:55:12 EDT 2008

I'm trying to build Python from the unix sources on an OS 10.5 machine. This is
because we're getting strange faults  when using the built in python 2.5
together with some precompiled versions of MySQLdb PIL etc etc.

The build works if I use python2.6 and with one minor fix I can get all the
extensions built and apparently working. However, there are some minor problems
with deprecated code inside the version of django we're using.

I then tried to build against Python2.5. All the extensions build cleanly except
for MySQLdb. I'm now getting

> In file included from /Users/rptlab/PYTHON/include/python2.5/Python.h:57,
>                  from pymemcompat.h:10,
>                  from _mysql.c:29:
> /Users/rptlab/PYTHON/include/python2.5/pyport.h:761:2: error: #error "LONG_BIT definition appears wrong for platform (bad gcc/glibc config?)."

and related

> In file included from _mysql.c:35:
> /usr/local/mysql/include/mysql/my_config.h:1095:1: warning: "SIZEOF_LONG" redefined
> In file included from /Users/rptlab/PYTHON/include/python2.5/Python.h:8,
>                  from pymemcompat.h:10,
>                  from _mysql.c:29:
> /Users/rptlab/PYTHON/include/python2.5/pyconfig.h:814:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition

I assume that's because MySQLdb wants to get settings from the mysql_config file
and the database is compiled in 64 bit mode whilst by default python seems to be
building 32 bit.

Is there some magic I can try to make the OS 10.5 build as 64 bits? I don't see
any options to do that in the configure script.

Also is it reasonable to expect MySQLdb to operate in both camps ie 32 bit on
the python side and 64 bit on the mysql side. We didn't see any obvious errors
with the 2.6 build, but our testing was not extensive.
--
Robin Becker