no unbound methods in py3k

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Thu Oct 9 06:24:38 EDT 2008

Christian Heimes schrieb:
> Thomas Heller wrote:
>> but this is very ugly, imo.  Is there another way?
>> The raw_func instances that I have are not descriptors (they
>> do not implement a __get__() method...)
>
> I've written PyInstanceMethod_Type for this use case. It's not (yet)
> available for Python code. Barry hasn't decided whether he should expose
> the type so late in the release cycle or not. See
> http://bugs.python.org/issue3787 and
> http://docs.python.org/dev/3.0/c-api/method.html?highlight=pyinstancemethod#PyInstanceMethod_Type

Ok, so one has to write an extension to access or expose it.

Oh, wait - there's ctypes:

Python 3.0rc1 (r30rc1:66507, Sep 18 2008, 14:47:08) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
>>> from ctypes import *
>>> pythonapi.PyInstanceMethod_New.restype = py_object
>>> pythonapi.PyInstanceMethod_New.argtypes = [py_object]
>>> instancemethod = pythonapi.PyInstanceMethod_New
>>>
>>> class Example:
...     pass
>>> Example.id = instancemethod(id)
>>>
>>> x = Example()