time

Gabriel Rossetti gabriel.rossetti at arimaz.com
Tue Oct 7 11:05:44 EDT 2008

Hello everyone!

I trying to work with time and I a bit confused... If I look at my
clock, it's 16:59 (4:59pm), if I type "date" in a terminal, it says the
same thing. I'm wanting to write a simple NTP-type server/client (it's
not NTP at all actually, but does the same thing). The idea is that a
client sends it it's UTC offset and it returns the current time, so the
server side checks the time and adds the UTC offset given by the client.
I'm a UTC/GMT +1, I tried obtaining the UTC time, it says it's 2 hours
earlier than the current time (14:59). I tried various other methods, I
still get the wrong time. Does anyone have an idea with what is wrong?

Thanks,
Gabriel