ANN: pyparsing 1.5.1 released

Paul McGuire ptmcg at austin.rr.com
Sun Oct 19 03:22:38 EDT 2008

On Oct 18, 1:05 pm, Terry Reedy <tjre... at udel.edu> wrote:
> Paul McGuire wrote:
> > I've just uploaded to SourceForge and PyPI the latest update to
> > (Python 3.0 uses syntax for catching exceptions that is incompatible
> > with Python versions pre 2.6, so there is no way for me to support
> > both existing Python releases and Python 3.0 with a common source code
> > base.
>
> I thought 2to3.py was supposed to make that change automatically. Have
> you tried it and found it not to work?
>
> tjr

Please re-read my caveat.  What I said was (or tried to anyway) was
that I cannot write a source file that will work on 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, and
3.0.  Actually, it was very close - but for the change in the "except"
syntax, I could actually have pulled it off.

I should probably use 2to3.py on my unit tests, so that my Py3 version
of pyparsing can get tested more fully.  I'll also use 2to3.py on
pyparsing.py itself, it will make it easier to maintain the Py3 source
version.  (I'll still have to keep and support two different source
versions though, pity.)

-- Paul