javascript to python

lkcl luke.leighton at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 3 04:56:49 EDT 2008

On Oct 2, 7:42 pm, Bruno Desthuilliers
<bdesth.quelquech... at free.quelquepart.fr> wrote:
> lkcl a écrit :
>

> > On Oct 2, 5:54 pm, Joe Hrbek <joe.hr... at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Could someone help me translate to something that would close to it in
> >> python?  The anonymous functions are giving me problems.
>
> > class dataListener:
> >     def __init__(self):
> >         data = ""
> >     def onStartRequest(self, request, context):
> >         pass
> >     def onStopRequest(self, request, context, status):
>
> >         # TODO: pass these three in to dataListener as
> >         # params to the constructor, so it's
> >         # def __init__(self, instream, outstream, listener)
> >         # and do self.instream = instream
>
> >         global instream
> >         global outstream
> >         global listener
>
> Since you don't rebind them, you don't need the global statement for
> these three identifiers
>
> >         instream.close()
> >         outstream.close()
> >         listener.finished(self.data)
>
> >     def onDataAvailable(self, request, context, inputStream,
> >                         offset, count):
>
> >         global instream
>
> idem
>
> >         self.data += instream.read(count)
>
> And then you have a class. Calling instance methods on the class won't
> work. Looks like there's something missing...
>
> > question.
>
> > why are request and context being ignored?
> > why is there an inputStream argument to onDataAvailable, yet
> > there's a global variable (in the javascript) called
> > instream?  is it the same?
>
> > all this, and more, thanks to the awfulness that is javascript :)
>
> None of "this, and more" is because of javascript. You'll find bad code
> in every language (and without more context, you can't tell if it's bad
> code - might as well be the right thing to do).
>
> FWIW, javascript is a very interesting and powerful language.
>
> > for fits and giggles, compile the above python using
> > pyjs.py, the python-to-javascript compiler
> > (seehttp://pyjamas.sf.net) and compare the
> > resultant javascript to your original code-fragment.
>
> > l.
>
> I did. Here's the result:

 ok - these are the "important" bits.  notice that the pyjamas
compiler is doing a little bit more than your original code: it's
overriding the "prototype" of dataListener, making it a true "class"
object.

this is where there's a key departure from the original code and the
translation to python: the original code isn't actually a class, at
all - it's more like a.... c struct that has function pointers in it.

by declaring a python "class", the javascript equivalent is to add to
"prototypes".

>      __dataListener.prototype.__init__ = function() {
>      var data = '';
>      };

[ ... so for example here, now when you declare _any number_ of
"dataListener"s, each and every one will have its __init__ function
called.  in your original example, you're effectively making one and
only one "dataListener".  you're kinda... it's a bit like having a
lambda-class (nameless class) and declaring one and only one instance
of that python class... ]

>      __dataListener.prototype.onStopRequest = function(request, context,
> status) {
>      instream.close();
>      outstream.close();
>      listener.finished(this.data);
>      };

>      __dataListener.prototype.onDataAvailable = function(request,
> context, inputStream, offset, count) {
>      this.data += instream.read(count);
>      };

so - yeah, you can see that (apart from the .prototype, which is
necessary to make a "class a la javascript") it's a pretty accurate
translation back to the original javascript.

> All this, and more, thanks to the strange idea that it would be better
> to write javascript in Python instead of writing it in javascript !-)

  *lol* :)   fortunately, pyjs.py does that translation for you ha
ha.  like they say on brainiac, "STOP!  we do these experiments, so
you don't have to".

  yes - it's because in the translated python, dataListener was
declared as a class, whereas in the original javascript, the
corresponding concept (prototypes) are not made use of.

if you wanted to experiment, you could try this:

def onStartRequest(this, request, context):
    pass

def onStopRequest(this, request, context, status):
    instream.close()
    oustream.close()
    listener.finished(this.data)

def onDataAvailable(this, request, context,
                      inputStream, offset, count):
    this.data += instream.read(count)

class dataListener:
    def __init__(self):
        self.data = ''
        self.onStartRequest = onStartRequest
        self.onStopRequest = onStopRequest
        self.onDataAvailable = onDataAvailable

which you will find to be more accurately representative of the
original javascript, conceptually.  i.e taking into account that in
the _original_ javascript, you don't have any "prototypes".

but - i don't believe it to be what you actually want, even though
it's "a slightly more accurate representation".

l.