Type feedback tool?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Oct 27 06:50:22 EDT 2008

On 2008-10-26 13:54, Martin Vilcans wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm wondering if there's a tool that can analyze a Python program
> while it runs, and generate a database with the types of arguments and
> return values for each function. In a way it is like a profiler, that
> instead of measuring how often functions are called and how long time
> it takes, it records the type information. So afterwards, when I'm
> reading the code, I can go to the database to see what data type
> parameter "foo" of function "bar" typically has. It would help a lot
> with deciphering old code.
>
> When I googled this, I learned that this is called "type feedback",
> and is used (?) to give type information to a compiler to help it
> generate fast code. My needs are much more humble. I just want a
> faster way to understand undocumented code with bad naming.

You could try the trace module:

    http://www.python.org/doc/2.5.2/lib/module-trace.html

but I'm not sure whether that includes parameter listings.

Or write your own tracing function and then plug it into your
application using sys.settrace():

    http://www.python.org/doc/2.5.2/lib/debugger-hooks.html#debugger-hooks

The frame object will have the information you need:

    http://www.python.org/doc/2.5.2/ref/types.html#l2h-143

in f_locals.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 27 2008)