help using py2app

Joe Strout joe at strout.net
Thu Oct 2 19:01:14 EDT 2008

I'm trying to use py2app to convert the pySketch wxPython example into
a stand-alone OS X app.  I've found the documentation at <http://undefined.org/python/py2app.html
 >, but it wasn't terribly enlightening for me.  My setup.py looks
like this:

#!/usr/bin/env python
"""
setup.py - script for building a bundled OS X application

Usage:
     % python setup.py py2app
"""
from distutils.core import setup
import py2app

setup(
     app=['pySketch.py'],
)

When I run this, it chugs along for a while and spews out lots of
output, and finally leaves me a bundle in the "dist" folder as it
should... but that app exits immediately.  The only thing the console
log shows is:

Oct  2 16:59:21 IA-J1 kernel[0]: CODE SIGNING: cs_invalid_page:
p=12336[pySketch] clearing CS_VALID

A similar setup.py worked fine on on the "simple.py" example, but
clearly something more is needed here.  Any clues?  Or, is there a
better list/forum for asking about Mac-specific Python development?
(I've subscribed to the PyObjC mailing list, and sent a message to the
list, but it hasn't shown up yet... perhaps the SourceForge lists are
running slow today.)

Thanks,
- Joe