IDE Question

Jorgen Grahn grahn+nntp at snipabacken.se
Sat Oct 18 13:39:44 EDT 2008

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 11:44:59 -0700 (PDT), jdd <jeremiah.dodds at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 15, 2:13 pm, "Fabio Zadrozny" <fabi... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Now, following that route, many people call Eclipse is the 21st
>> century Emacs... ;-)
>>

> I don't want to kick off an editor war or anything, but I don't think
> that Eclipse is anywhere near being a 21st century emacs, unless
> there's been a whole lot of progress with it since the last time I
> used it. [...]

Isn't Eclipse kind of project oriented? I.e. not suited for opening a
single file, anywhere, and viewing/editing it.  I get the impression
that it prefers to have some "project" or "workspace" file which
groups a set of files and contains configuration, build rules and so
on.  The guy three postings up suggested a general-purpose text editor.

(As a side note: I don't use Eclipse myself, but I have seen novice
programmers editing Python code with it, and what saw wasn't
impressive. They *did* some kind of Python "plugin" installed, but
were sitting there pressing SPACE to indent every line manually.)

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@        Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/     snipabacken.se>          R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!