Reg: Installation problems in psycopg2

raj.indian.08 at gmail.com raj.indian.08 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 23:52:27 EDT 2008

Hi all,
    I am not sure whether this is the right place to ask this
question. Please let me know if it isn't.
    I am trying to install psycopg2 in my windows machine for
connecting with the PostgreSQL server.
    Since there is no binary executable*, I  am trying to build my own
- and I am facing this issue.

C:\MinGW\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.5\..\..\..\..\mingw32\bin\ld.exe:
cannot find -lpq
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

     After a little bit of googling, I found that this can be solved
by -L<directory name> while linking - but I am not specifically
linking the code. Rather, I am installing by doing the following -
     python.exe setup.py build
     python.exe setup.py install

    So, I cannot find a place to include the -L option too.
    Can somebody help me on this? I have been investigating this for
the last 4 days - and now I cannot see any further way out.

Regards,
Raj
*p.s ->  I did find one binary in
http://www.stickpeople.com/projects/python/win-psycopg/index.html#Version2.
But the licensing is GPL and I wont be able to use it (I am doing
coding for proprietary systems)