Distributing compiled (swig) python modules

mathieu mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 08:32:38 EDT 2008

Hi there,

  I have prepared binaries of a python module that I wrote. Basically
the lib is written in C++ and wrapped in python using SWIG. Of course
it links to the python dynamic libraries. I found out that this is
version dependant. For instance if I prepare the binaries on my
machine with a python 2.4 installation this module will not load
properly on a python 2.5 / 2.6 installation.

  Is there some documentation (that I missed in my previous google
search) that describe how to prepare python module that can be
redistributed with some kind of backward compatibility (= so that when
prepared on python 2.4, it works on 2.5/2.6 at least) ?

Thanks