Python/Django hosting on "normal" hosting plans

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Wed Oct 8 07:11:11 EDT 2008

> My questions are:
>
>   - can most everyday vanilla linux web hosts run a django site ?
>
>   - can most everyday vanilla linux web hosts run python web scripts?

Depends on your definition of "most everyday vanilla linux web
hosts".  :)

The bottom-of-the-barrel hosts will often (but not always) offer
Python CGI.  Django "can" run in a CGI (google for "django
cgi"[0]), but it's an unpleasant experience because the entire
Django framework gets reloaded for *every* request.
Doable/tolerable for a private development/family page, but it
will likely flounder under the slightest load.

This is like strapping a jet engine (Django) on a bicycle (CGI).
  [1]  Doable, but more for the macho-factor of "I got it
working" rather than the practical aspects.

Your lowest-end hosting services won't offer mod_python or WSGI
(either Apache with mod_wsgi, or others like lighttpd with a wsgi
interface) though WSGI is becoming more popular.  There are still
some shared-hosting solutions that facilitate using Django[2]
pretty well.  They're not super-cheap, but they're affordable.
The canonical catalog of Django-friendly & Django-capable hosting
services can be found at [3].  If you're just starting out with
Django, it might help to pay a bit more for one of the click-n-go
hosts, while others you'll have to do some of the heavy lifting
(installing Django, as well as possibly other components,
assembling your wsgi startup script, etc) yourself.

Hope this helps,

-tkc

[0]
http://www.google.com/search?q=django%20cgi