2.6, 3.0, and truly independent intepreters

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Oct 22 17:34:17 EDT 2008

Andy wrote:

> This is just my second email, please be a little patient. :^)

As a 10-year veteran, I welcome new contributors with new viewpoints and
information.

> more appealing to commercial software developers.  Hopefully, the
> python dev community doesn't underestimate the dev funding that could
> potentially come in from companies if python grew in certain ways!

This seems to be something of a chicken-and-egg problem.

> So, that said, I represent a company willing to fund the development
> of features that move python towards thread-independent operation.

Perhaps you know of and can persuade other companies to contribute to
such focused effort.

> No
> software engineer can deny that we're entering a new era of
> multithreaded processing where support frameworks (such as python)
> need to be open minded with how they're used in a multi-threaded
> environment--that's all I'm saying here.

The *current* developers seem to be more interested in exploiting
multiple processors with multiprocessing.  Note that Google choose that
route for Chrome (as I understood their comic introduction). 2.6 and 3.0
come with a new multiprocessing module that mimics the threading module
api fairly closely.  It is now being backported to run with 2.5 and 2.4.

Advances in multithreading will probably require new ideas and
development energy.

Terry Jan Reedy