equivalent of py2exe in other os

Joe Strout joe at strout.net
Tue Oct 7 10:58:51 EDT 2008

On Oct 7, 2008, at 8:43 AM, Benjamin Kaplan wrote:

> I believe that all (or nearly all) Unix variants come with Python
> preinstalled. Ubuntu, at least, has a lot of system programs written
> in Python. Even Mac OS X requires Python.

Yes, but with significant differences between different Python
distributions, you might be safer bundling whatever version of Python
your app requires with the app itself.  Otherwise, you risk your app
failing (and probably puking up runtime exceptions all over the poor
user's lap) on some distros or versions.

(My Mac OS X machine comes with Python 2.5.1, for example, which is
hardly the latest.)

Best,
- Joe