python3 - the hardest hello world ever ?

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Tue Oct 14 18:13:37 EDT 2008

Helmut Jarausch <jarausch at skynet.be> writes:

> I have to set an internal property (with leading underscore)
> for each output file I'm using - right?

If you're referring to the source encoding declaration: No,
underscores have no effect. The specification is at
<URL:http://www.python.org/doc/2.5.2/ref/encodings.html>.

> #!/usr/local/bin/python3.0
> # _*_ coding: latin1 _*_

I'm not sure why you use underscores in this line. The usual form is
to use a mode line as recognised by Emacs::

    # -*- coding: latin1 -*-

or Vim::

    # vim: fileencoding=latin1 :

--
 \         “Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?” “I think so, |
  `\    Brain, but don't you need a swimming pool to play Marco Polo?” |