Tuple parameter unpacking in 3.x

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Sat Oct 4 07:14:40 EDT 2008

Nick Craig-Wood wrote:

> Martin Geisler <mg at daimi.au.dk> wrote:
>
>>  I just tried running my code using "python2.6 -3" and got a bunch of
>>
>>    SyntaxWarning: tuple parameter unpacking has been removed in 3.x
>>
>>  warnings. I've read PEP-3113:
>>
>>    http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3113/
>>
>>  but I'm still baffled as to why you guys could remove such a wonderful
>>  feature?!
>
> I don't think many people will miss tuple unpacking in def statements.
>
> I think the warning is probably wrong anyway - you just need to remove
> a few parens...
>
>>    ci.addCallback(lambda (ai, bi): ai * bi)
>>    map(lambda (i, s): (field(i + 1), s), enumerate(si))
>
> On
> Python 3.0rc1 (r30rc1:66499, Oct  4 2008, 11:04:33)

>   File "<stdin>", line 1
>     f = lambda (ai, bi): ai * bi
>                ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>
> But

> 6
>
> Likewise

>   File "<stdin>", line 1
>     lambda (i, s): (field(i + 1), s)
>            ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
> <function <lambda> at 0xb7bf75ec>
>>>>

> So just remove the parentheses and you'll be fine.

No, you change the function signature in the process.

f = lambda (a, b): a*b

is equivalent to

def f((a, b)): # double parens
   return a*b

and called as f(arg) where arg is an iterable with two items.

In 3.0 it has to be rewritten as

def f(ab):
    a, b = ab
    return a*b

i. e. it needs a statement and an expression and is therefore no longer
suitable for a lambda.

Peter