Python 2.6, GUI not working on vista?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at
Thu Oct 9 23:32:42 CEST 2008

>> I say, ignore this advice and disable UAC.
> Fine. Can you then see to it that this is mentioned on the Python
> download page?

I think Thorsten's advice is helpful (in the sense that it solves
the problem, and is IMO pragmatic also), but I *still* wouldn't
put it on the Python download page, for fear of the flak from the
security folks who start screaming that the PSF should never give
such advice. I would personally think they would be wrong, but still
revert giving the advise under public pressure.

In any case, Python 2.6.1 will approach this problem in a different