Python 2.6, GUI not working on vista?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Oct 9 17:41:44 EDT 2008

> You can believe what you want. The people who developed UAC don't have
> to support it.

I know for a fact that the implementation is incomplete. In Windows
Installer, there is no way (that I know of) to create an MSI file
that conditionally turns on UAC, only when the installation actually
needs privilege elevation.

There is a static bit in the installer that indicates whether the MSI
file will do UAC, and there is no way to toggle this bit, e.g. after
asking the user whether this is a "for me" installation or "for all users".

I set this bit to "no UAC" for 2.6, in order to allow non-privileged
installation at all - only to find out that (due to an unrelated
problem), the "for me" installation doesn't actually work. I only found
out after the release, because nobody bothered reporting this problem
during the betas and release candidates. I didn't notice on my Vista
machine, because that has VS 2008 installed, in which case the "for me"
installation works just fine.

If anybody knows how to make the "for me" installation work
(i.e. how to set up the manifests that a single copy of the CRT
is used both by python26.dll, and all extension modules), please
let me know.

IOW: HELP! HELP!! HELP!!!
Meanwhile: just say no to Vista.

Regards,