Python equivalent to SharePoint?

ivandatasync ivan at datasyncorp.com
Fri Oct 24 10:32:30 EDT 2008

I have read about both Plone and Alfresco being considered as alternatives to
Sharepoint and unfortunately they may not be enough if you require
everything Sharepoint has too offer. Plone and Alfresco are both great
applications but out of the box they are too focused to be complete
replacements. Sharepoint is quite the Monolithic beast when it comes to both
features and complexity. I have done some Sharepoint development and
customization work in a former life err.... job and although I would not
wish it on my worst competitor, it is very 'feature' rich. Either way, IMHO,
these all-in-one, frameworks are not the way to go. They just get too large
and encourage companies to keep their eggs all in one basket.

Although I admit, I am very biased as I work on the Datasync Suite, which is
a Sharepoint competitor. Our approach is to not re-invent the wheel but
rather integrate open source applications that are very good for select
business units under a single web based portal. The applications we
integrate are written in various languages but our Suite that ties them all
together is written entirely in Python. Which has served as a marvelous glue
language and base for application extensions. I'll stop there because I
don't want to turn my post into more of an advertisement then it has already
become but if your interested, the link is in my sig.

Good Luck,
Ivan Ven Osdel
http://www.datasyncsuite.com/