urllib accept-language doesn't have any effect

Philip Semanchuk philip at semanchuk.com
Thu Oct 16 09:55:45 EDT 2008

On Oct 16, 2008, at 6:50 AM, Martin Bachwerk wrote:

> Hmm, thanks for the ideas,
>
> I've checked the requests in Firefox one more time after deleting
> all the cookies and both google.com and gizmodo.com do indeed
> forward me to the German site without caring about the browser
> settings.
>
> wget shows me that the server does a 302 redirect straight away..
> soo..

I'm not sure what you mean by this. In my experiment with wget, Google
respects the Accept-Language header. On other words, this returns a
Swedish page even though I'm executing it from a U.S. IP address:

wget  "--header=Accept-Language: sv" http://www.google.com/

I see the same behavior from urllib2, although my code is slightly
different from yours. Here's my code. If I use "sv" in the header I
get Swedish, "pl" gives me Polish, etc.  I get the same result when I
add your Mozilla user-agent string.

import urllib2

headers = { "Accept-Language" : "sv" }

req = urllib2.Request("http://www.google.com/", None, headers)
f = urllib2.urlopen(req)
content = f.read()
f.close()

print content

Do you get different results with this same code in Germany?

Cheers
Philip

>>> opener.addheaders = [('Host', 'www.google.com'), ('Accept-