Python 2.5.3: call for patches

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Oct 10 17:32:15 EDT 2008

troelswh at gmail.com wrote:
> On Oct 7, 9:27 am, "Martin v. Löwis" <mar... at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> In principle, the release will include all changes that are already on
>> the release25-maint branch in subversion [1]. If you think that specific
>> changes should be considered, please create an issue in the bug tracker
>> [2], and label it with the 2.5.3 version. Backports of changes that
>> are already released in Python 2.6 but may apply to 2.5 are of
>> particular interest.
>
> There is a number of Python 2.5.2 security vulnerabilities registered
> with CVE. It would be great if the 2.5.3 release included fixes for
> all of these!
>
> http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2008-3144

This references
http://bugs.python.org/issue2588
http://bugs.python.org/issue2589
both of which report fixes backported to 2.5.3
I will let you investigate whether the name is true of the rest, or
whether someone should be nudged to either report or submit a patch
or help review a patch.

> http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2008-3142
> http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2008-2316
> http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2008-2315
> http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2008-1887
> http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2008-1721
> http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2008-1679
>
> For some reason none of these have made it into Python security
> advisories (http://www.python.org/news/security/), but many vendors
> who ship Python have released patched versions already.

Presumably, none were considered really critical, or the volunteer core
developers were busy doing something else.  Also, release schedules differ.