Upgrading from 2.5 to 2.6

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Sun Oct 12 20:32:37 EDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 6:16 PM, Daniel Klein <danielkleinad at gmail.com>wrote:

> Are there any guidelines for upgrading from 2.5 to 2.6?
>
> Do you have to uninstall 2.5, or does the installer do that for you?
>
> I have wxPython, mod_python and Django installed. Will these have to
> reinstalled/reconfigured for 2.6?
>
> Platform: Windows XP Pro SP3

You can actually have 2 python installations side by side. 2.5 is located in
C:\Python25, and 2.6 will go into C:\Python26.

Each version of Python has its own site-packages folder, so you'll need to
reinstall them. For pure python libraries like django, you can just
reinstall the version you already have. For wrapped c and c++ libraries
(like wxPython and mod_python), you need to download python 2.6 versions. I
don't think mod_python has a 2.6 binary out yet, so you'll have to either
compile from source or wait for the next release if you want to upgrade
python.