2.6, 3.0, and truly independent intepreters

Michael Sparks ms at cerenity.org
Sat Oct 25 07:50:27 EDT 2008

Andy O'Meara wrote:

> Yeah, that's the idea--let the highest levels run and coordinate the
> show.

Yes, this works really well in python and it's lots of fun. We've found so
far you need at minimum the following parts to a co-ordination little
language:

    Pipeline
    Graphline
    Carousel
    Seq
    OneShot
    PureTransformer
    TPipe
    Filter
    Backplane
    PublishTo
    SubscribeTo

The interesting thing to me about this is in most systems these would be
patterns of behaviour in activities, whereas in python/kamaelia these are
concrete things you can drop things into. As you'd expect this all becomes
highly declarative.

In practice the world is slightly messier than a theoretical document would
like to suggest, primarily because if you consider things like pygame,
sometimes you have only have a resource instantiated once in a single
process. So you do need a mechanism for advertising services inside a
process and looking those up. (The Backplane idea though helps with
wrapping those up a lot I admit, for certain sorts of service :)

And sometimes you do need to just share data, and when you do that's when
STM is useful.

But concurrent python systems are fun to build :-)

Michael.
--
http://www.kamaelia.org/GetKamaelia