__metaclass__ and deepcopy issue

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Sun Oct 19 00:28:42 EDT 2008

On Oct 17, 1:00 am, Wouter DW <wouter.dewi... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I read the article onhttp://www.python.org/download/releases/2.2/descrintro/#metaclasses
> and started using autoprop.
> But now I have a problem I can't seem to solve myself.
>
> class autoprop(type):
>   def __init__(cls, name, bases, dict):
>     super(autoprop, cls).__init__(name, bases, dict)
>     props = {}
>     for name in dict.keys():
>       if name.startswith("_get_") or name.startswith("_set_"):
>         props[name[5:]] = 1
>     for name in props.keys():
>       fget = getattr(cls, "_get_%s" % name, None)
>       fset = getattr(cls, "_set_%s" % name, None)
>       setattr(cls, name, property(fget, fset))
> class InvertedX:
>   __metaclass__ = autoprop
>   def _get_x(self):
>     return -self.__x
>   def _set_x(self, x):
>     self.__x = -x
>
> a = InvertedX()
> from copy import deepcopy
> b = deepcopy(a)
>
> The deepcopy gives an error inside copy.py of the python lib.

Hmm, your code works just fine for me in Py2.6.
If I add "a.x = 10" before the deepcopy and
"print b.x" after the deepcopy, it also shows
the desired result.

> TypeError: descriptor '__reduce__' of 'object' object needs an
> argument
>
> Does anybody know how to solve this issue?

Usually, when you get errors of this kind with copy, deepcopy, or
pickle, it means that the copier can't figure out how to extract
the relevant components and then re-assemble them into a new instance.

This means that you need to define some combination of __copy__,
__deepcopy__, __reduce__, __getstate__, __setstate__, __getinitargs__,
and/or __getnewargs__.  See the pickle module and copy module for
all the gory details.

One other thought, class decorators can be much easier to use and
understand than an equivalent metaclass:

    def autoprop(cls):
        for name in cls.__dict__.keys():
            if name.startswith("_get_") or name.startswith("_set_"):
                name = name[5:]
                fget = getattr(cls, "_get_%s" % name, None)
                fset = getattr(cls, "_set_%s" % name, None)
                setattr(cls, name, property(fget, fset))
        return cls

    @autoprop
    class InvertedX:
      def _get_x(self):
        return -self.__x
      def _set_x(self, x):
        self.__x = -x

    a = InvertedX()
    a.x = 10
    print a.x
    from copy import deepcopy
    b = deepcopy(a)
    print b.x

Raymond

P.S.  Minor nits in the original code.  When you use a dict like
"props" but care only about the key, not the value, that usually means
that you're better-off with a set() than a dict().  Also, you don't
even need to build-up "props" since the values can be used immediately
(like in my example code).  But the most important part is that
whenever you're using metaclasses for registration, validation, or
simple transformation (as in your example), then a simple class
decorator is often a better choice.  If you don't have Py2.6 yet, then
you can get the same effect by defining the class and *then* writing,
"Inverted = autoprop(Inverted).