Optparse object containing generators: only seem to work if given particular names?

John O'Hagan mail at johnohagan.com
Fri Oct 31 22:26:41 EDT 2008

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008, Peter Otten wrote:
> John O'Hagan wrote:
> > Here's a strange one for you:
> >
> > I have a generator function which produces lists of numbers and takes
> > options which influence the output. The generator contains a loop, and to
> > enable the options to have a different value on each iteration, the
> > options may themselves be instances of the same generator, in the form of
> > attributes of an optparse object. In the body of the loop, the next()
> > method is called on each generator to get the new value each time.
[..]

> > The problem: whether it works or not depends on what name is given to the
> > destination in parser.values()! Strange but true.
[...]
> > Here's the code:
> >
> > import sys
> > from optparse import OptionParser
> >
> > def my_callback(option, opt_str, value, parser):
> >
> > rargs = parser.rargs
> >
> > if rargs[0] == "CTRL:" :
> > setattr(parser.values, option.dest+"_ctrl", rargs[1].split())
> > else:
> > value = abs(int(rargs[0]))
> > setattr(parser.values, option.dest, value)
> >
> > def parse(option_list):
> >
> > parser = OptionParser()
> >
> > parser.add_option("--add", action="callback", callback=my_callback,
> > dest="add")  ## The troublesome name!
> >
> > (options, args) = parser.parse_args(option_list)
> > return options
> >

> > def numerical_ctrl(generator):
> >
> > for number_list in generator:
> > for number in number_list:
> > yield number
> >
> > def dummy_ctrl(value):
> > while 1:
> > yield value
> >
> > #This next bit should ideally be incorporated into the callback function
> > #above (later!)
> > #It converts the attributes of the "options" object to generators.
> >
> > def iterizer( options ):
> >
> > for opt in vars( options )  :
> >
> > if "_ctrl" in opt:
> > ctrl_opts_list = getattr( options, opt )
> > setattr(options, opt, dummy_ctrl( getattr( options, opt ) ) )
> > opt = opt.replace( "_ctrl", "" )
> > ctrl_opts = parse( ctrl_opts_list )
> > ctrl_opts = iterizer( ctrl_opts )
> > generator = phrase_engine( ctrl_opts )
> > generator = numerical_ctrl( generator )
> > else:
> > generator = dummy_ctrl( getattr( options, opt ) )
> >
> > setattr (options, opt , generator)
> >
> > return options
> >
> > #The number list generator:
> >
> > def phrase_engine(options):
> >
> > counter = 0
> > while counter < 10:
> >
> > sequence = [1, 2, 3]
> >
> > add = options.add.next() ##Here is the troublesome name again.
> >
> > if add :
> > sequence = [ i + add for i in sequence ]
> >
> > yield sequence
> >
> > counter += 1
> >
> > options = parse( sys.argv[ 1: ] )
> > options = iterizer(options)
> >
> > for i in phrase_engine(options):
> > print  i
>
> Just a quick note: Your iterizer() implementation seems to depend on xxx
>
> occuring before xxx_ctrl.

[...]

Thanks for your eagle eye, Peter, that's exactly what it was; I hadn't
realized the original xxx option was still in the game, a fact that was
masked by that ugly "ctrl_" kludge.

> While you can enforce that with sorted(vars(options)) I suggest that you
> try to simplify your code a bit -- you know, debugging being twice as hard
> as coding...

[...]
That's excellent advice, my callback function now simply stores the string
after "CTRL:" as a word list (without creating a new destination), and
iterizer() just checks if each option's value is a list:

def iterizer(options):

	for opt in vars(options)  :
		value = getattr(options, opt)
		if type(value) is list:
			ctrl_opts = parse(value)
			ctrl_opts = iterizer(ctrl_opts)
			generator = phrase_engine(ctrl_opts)
			generator = numerical_ctrl(generator)
		else:
			generator = dummy_ctrl(getattr(options, opt))
		setattr (options, opt , generator)

	return options

I have a feeling type-checking is a little bit naughty as well, but it's a
foolproof way to tell which kind of option has been applied, and it works!

Thanks again,

John