Commercial Products in Python

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Tue Oct 21 15:04:12 EDT 2008

In article <mailman.2776.1224611437.3487.python-list at python.org>,
Paulo J. Matos <pocmatos at gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I was just wondering, if you wish to commercialize an application
>developed in Python, what's the way to go?
>I guess the only way is to sell the source, right?
>
>This is because (and tell me if I am wrong):
>1) You can't sell an executable because Python doesn't compile to native
>code (the usual approach, afaik);
>2) You can't sell the bytecode, otherwise you get the client stuck with
>a specific python version (given bytecode might vary between versions)
>(the alternative);
			.
			.
			.
A desktop application?  One alternative often recommended is to
construct your application as a Web one, and require subscrip-
tions.

For strict desktop applications, it *is* possible to deliver
executables; in fact, there are several products on the market
that do NOT advertise themselves as Python-based, but merely
deliver conventional-looking executables and ancillary libraries.
a good place for you to start reading.

There *are* companies that deliver .pyc-s.  You're right that
introduces a bit of ... delicacy with regard to the version of
Python used; it *is* feasible, though.