ANN: gui_support, a convenience library for wxPython

Joe Strout joe at strout.net
Thu Oct 23 15:14:59 EDT 2008

On Oct 23, 2008, at 11:50 AM, Stef Mientki wrote:

> gui_support is library for easy creation of GUI designs in wxPython.
> Brief documentation can be found here
> http://oase.uci.kun.nl/~mientki/data_www/pylab_works/pw_gui_support.html

That's neat -- thank you for making it available.  I've just recently
been working through some wxPython tutorials, and wondered if there
was a simple text-based layout definition format that would let me
define my interfaces in a simpler manner.

Your page says that the layout is defined in a docstring, but in the
sample code, it's actually just in a regular string literal.  That's
nice -- it means that we could read the layout from a file, for
example, or even make a dynamic editor where we edit the layout string
in one window, and view the result in real time in another window.

Is this layout format -- where indentation shows containment, and with
the name/type/attributes  for each item on a line -- any sort of
standard, or just something you guys made up?

Thanks very much,
- Joe