What's the perfect (OS independent) way of storing filepaths ?

Laszlo Nagy gandalf at shopzeus.com
Tue Oct 21 05:32:14 EDT 2008

>> However, the normal place to store settings on Windows is in the registry.
>>

> Which becomes a single point of failure for the whole system.

LOL :-)

BTW famous big popular programs like firefox and thunderbird will store
their configuration data under "Documents and Settings\Application
data". I believe this is the standard place to store application
configuration data. And inside that directory, you should be able to use
whatever file name you want, beginning with a dot or not.

Users who like to go inside "Documents and Settings\Application data"
and delete things without knowing what they do deserve to have a
malfunctioning system for sure.

BTW it would be nice to have a standard 'Application data" like
directory under UNIX. It is true that all kinds of programs will create
.app files in your home dir which is not very polite.

  Laszlo