Windows DOS box redirection

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Fri Oct 31 14:31:48 EDT 2008

Bill McClain wrote:
> On 2008-10-31, Stef Mientki <stef.mientki at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well I don't know any Windows users that still use DOS-boxes ;-)
>> cheers,
>
> What do they do when they want to run a cross-platform command-line script
> with parameters and redirection?

I think it's a slight dig at the nomenclature. Technically,
Windows from NT onwards has had Consoles. (At least, I think
that's what they're called). But lots of people still say
"DOS box" from back in the day.

Architecturally speaking, Windows 3.x (and below) sat on top
of DOS. The Windows NT family was an OS unto itself pretty
much, and provided a Console which sat on top of it.

TJG